Irish Aran Sweaters
What is an Aran sweater?
The Aran sweater, also known as a fisherman’s sweater or simply an Irish wool sweater is one of Ireland’s most well known and full of symbolism garments that went global. The Aran sweater is called after the Aran Islands which are a group of islands located to Ireland West coast where the first sweaters were designed and produced by local fishermen and farmers. The Aran sweater is often related to many legends and myths, especially those of their origin. However, Aran knit sweater genesis is linked to a more practical approach- the necessity to fight freezing cold and the wet environment in which the fishermen were working in the winter. Today these traditional wool sweaters are appreciated and recognized worldwide becoming an iconic Irish heritage symbol.
How Aran sweaters are made?
In order to create an authentic Aran sweater you need to possess and acquire prodigious skills that can amaze even craft experts. A sweater makes a genuine masterpiece containing around 100 000 well designed and formed stitches. All our garments are made of authentic wool also known as Merino Wool, which is soft, pretreated wool that makes Aran sweaters a super comfortable and soft choice for the cold winter times or even for a romantic autumn outfit. The most complicated yet creative part of crafting an mens Aran sweater or a womens Aran sweater is choosing the stitches and stitches combination to use. All the Aran stitches carry a unique meaning and symbolism making them an exclusive reminder of Celtic art.
- Cable Stitch - this Aran pattern is the most commonly used and found in sweaters exhibiting the fisherman’s ropes. Considered to be a symbol of safety and good luck.
- Diamond - one of the most complicated and beautiful Aran patterns that stand for wealth and success.
- Basket - this stitch pays a tribute for fishermen baskets representing the hope for filling them with fish.
- Honeycomb - is the expression of the hardworking bee who works together thus demonstrating the importance of collaboration, team spirit, and efficiency in labor.
- Zig Zag - this Aran stitch has various meanings, some associate it with the wrenched cliff paths on the Aran islands while others with the happy and difficult times that occur in a lifetime.
Choosing an Aran sweater
Aran sweaters are a basic of Irish design, and no trip to the Emerald Isle is complete without bringing home one or two. When it comes to choosing an Aran sweater the best way to do it is browse our Aran Wool sweaters collection. All of our garments are made of 100% Super Soft Wool that will ensure luxurious comfort while looking just gorgeous. We brought together traditional Irish garments and modern designs as a turtleneck or zip sweaters to show off the diversity and beauty of Aran sweaters. For a stylish and easy everyday look, pair our delightful knitwear items with a pair of jeans or a classic skirt and you are ready to go.
- Men's Traditional Irish Aran Sweater - knitted from 100% pure merino wool this Aran sweater includes a wonderful combination of honeycomb, cable, and basket patterns making it a comfortable clothing piece.
- Men's Single Button Shawl Collar Aran Sweater - this V-neck men’s sweater boasts an elegant traditional Irish design that never goes out of style.
- Men's Half-Zip Aran Fisherman Sweater - our 100% Merino Wool Aran sweater for men features a half-zip collar that can be worn up or down and is wide enough to wear a tie under.
- Ladies Aran Tunic Sweater - this lovely crewneck sweater features an adorable honeycomb pattern and a ribbed border hits at the hip of the sweater decorating the wrists and neckline.
- Supersoft Wool Cable & Weave Aran Knit Crew Ladies Sweater - this exclusive Aran sweater is made of supersoft 100% Merino wool- ideal for every woman that wants to spice up her look. The sweater also is adorned with a delightful vertical braided and interwoven cable rope pattern.
- Ladies Turtleneck Ribbed Cable Knit Sweater - this roll down neck sweater features the beloved Cable and Diamond stitching. Additionally the sweater displays traditional Aran zig-zag knits on the cuffs.
Browse our collection of Aran knit sweaters and be sure to find the accessory that matches your personality and style. No matter the budget and design you're looking for our Aran sweaters will provide you luxurious softness, warmth, and elegance.